Neuschwanstein Castle Report 3.

My Neuschwanstein Castle Model by Doyusha – Progress Report No.3:

(continued from Surf – Neuschwanstein Castle)
(continued from Surf – Neuschwanstein Castle Report 1.)
(continued from Surf – Neuschwanstein Castle Reort 2.)

Castle Foundation:

Before starting to paint and assemble the castle building parts shown above and below, I hand-detailed/textured, in shades of Light to Medium Greys, the lower castle’s stone foundation walls all the way around.

 


And on the model’s mountain base, I applied some scrub grass areas. Future shrub and trees will be added as noted in my blog no. 81. As my model will appear to be in the early Autumn/Fall time of year I used a brownish grass mixture with a little green grass. Scenic cement was brushed on to my chosen grass areas, and then the mixture was sprinkled over. The model was tilted and tapped to remove excess material, and then vacuumed up.

 

Assembling and Detailing the Castle Buildings:

Previously, I had looked up photo detail reference on the internet on the Royal Neuschwanstein Castle in West Germany. These were saved in a folder for their future use. As I was now ready to start painting some of the castle’s many parts, I printed out a few of the best photos for color and detail use.

The first thing that I did was to organize all of the roof, turret tower, stair, chimney parts etc. into separate styrofoam trays (old food trays that were cleaned) These are also great for holding larger parts while paint spraying.

All parts were cleaned and sprayed with an Acrylic White Primer. All castle wall and roof parts were removed from the sprues, but their part number was written on the part’s underside. Smaller parts, such as chimney parts were left on their sprues – they look similar but they fit differently.


The Doyusha manufactured model’s instructions are in Japanese, with limited broken English underneath. This does not hinder assembly at all, as the Illustrations are excellent (sample above).

All of the roof parts were painted using an Acrylic Paynes Grey (a blackish/blueish dark grey). Then Paynes Grey was mixed with different small amounts of a Medium Grey with the addition of Liquitex Matte Medium. This gives the color transparency letting the underlay color show through. This was brush on by following the lines of the linear metal/slate roofs.

The Castle’s Entrance

Tower, Turret, Stone Wall & Mural Detail

Castle Wall, Roof & Chimney Detail

Before mixing a large amount of the Castle’s Medium/Light Grey Wall Color, I decided to paint all the small castle wall parts that were of different colors. I studied my reference photos for accuracy. The front castle’s entrance parts contained two colors of brick-stone, as well as top dirty stone parapet walls. The larger rear castle building contained various trim/ledges , turrets and chimney parts in a yellow ochre/beige color.

Camera Flash tends to make the images a little blue looking.


Once all of the small components, roof parts, and the building trim were painted, I mixed in a sealable container the overall wall color – a Light/Medium Grey Acrylic. This was hand-painted to all of the stone grey castle walls.

Later I will apply a transparent wash of Light Beige mixed with 60 percent Acrylic Matte Medium over the Grey coat to warm up the stone a little.

The Castle’s Front Entrance Building and a couple of other components have been glued into place on its foundation. Other castle buildings and their roof will be applied later, as I am presently waiting for an order of Switch, Battery-operated LED Lights to arrive. The LED’s will be placed within the Castle Diorama Display to illuminate the windows when in a dim room. I purchased the LED Lights from Evan Designs in Broomfield, CO.


March 12 – 4pm- LED Lights arrived.

March 13 – Morning – Taped 3 sets of LED Lights onto the interior walls of castle buildings. Drilled 2 holes where buildings intersect, ran the 3 sets of LED lights wiring through 1 lower window to the outside wall and connected to the switch/battery wires. Fused switch to wall with super glue. Hid exterior wires by cutting a slit in the styrofoam mountain and pushing visable wires under. Minor paint touch-up. Cut a slot in the styrofoam mountain where I wanted the battery holder and pushed the holder into the styrofoam.
Installed the building main roof and turrets after verifying that all the interior LED Lights worked …Horray!

Note: the final landscaping shrubs and trees will be placed to hide visible wire parts.

I will keep you updated on my progress …thanks for visiting …comments always welcome!

Night Night!